The Treehouse + The Cave


The Treehouse + The Cave: Personal Compression <body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d9561264\x26blogName\x3dThe+Treehouse+%2B+The+Cave\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttps://thetreehouseandthecave.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://thetreehouseandthecave.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-2611371644715887499', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Monday, January 31, 2005

Personal Compression

Since Saturday morning I've been wearing a shirt/jacket that I hadn't pulled from my closet in a couple years. I had forgotten how much I like it, though I'm still not sure how it's meant to be worn.

It's a somewhat rave-inspired (think Berlin '99) black brushed-cotton windbreaker with more zippers, snaps and adjustable elastics than necessary. While choosing (for an extended period of time, in front of our antique mirror) how to wear it today, I figured out why I like it so much. Once you understand all of the different adjustments you can make, and how they affect the fit of the garment, it's remarkably easy to make this thing fit perfectly.

Even better, it's easy to make it snug. For whatever reason (some attribute it to mild autism) I love my clothes to exert a mild and consistent pressure on my body. In other words, I prefer them considerably tighter than my average peer. This desire for personal compression affects more than my attire.

I like my shoes tied tightly, with precisely equal pressure applied to each foot. I like my seat belt tight, reminding me that I'm a human, in a container, traveling through space much faster than I should be. I like the wrap around my wrist taut enough to make that creaking leather sound when I bend it.

Related: Deep Pressure

Post a Comment
Hide Comments