The Treehouse + The Cave


The Treehouse + The Cave: Stowaways <body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d9561264\x26blogName\x3dThe+Treehouse+%2B+The+Cave\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttps://thetreehouseandthecave.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://thetreehouseandthecave.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-2611371644715887499', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Stowaways

Protozoa

Sometimes when I look at an empty bright blue sky, I instinctively shift my focus from the height of the absent clouds to just micrometers above each eye. I can somehow focus on the thin layer of Lacrimal Fluid surrounding my eyes, and in it I can see the ghostly outlines of active microorganisms swimming around in my tears.

I mentioned this to Aaron (my biology lifeline since the 10th grade and current medical student), who admitted to having seen them as well, but suggested that they might be lint rather than protozoa. My sister agrees they are alive however, and has corroborated me, stating that she tends to "watch the 'worms' in oncoming headlights".

Experienced this?

Blogger Mick thought:

Yes, an(n)oy, took my place briefly when I was to lazy to sign in! As for the stowaways...they are there but they are not alive!

January 30, 2005 at 12:00 PM - Comment Permalink  
Blogger b thought:

im gonna try that out. wormies in the eyes. i wanna see that.

January 30, 2005 at 5:52 PM - Comment Permalink  
Blogger Andy thought:

Please do.
Report back.

A.

January 30, 2005 at 7:05 PM - Comment Permalink  
Blogger Aaron Sylvan Lord thought:

aaron here, in addition to "gunk" (lint, etc.) i imagine there is a fair amount of cellular debris that you might be seeing. the organic nature of this material might be why you think its "alive" or even "wiggling" though the wiggling is probably nothing more that the wiggling a tissue would do when submerged in water (ie, lacrimal fluid). a

January 31, 2005 at 10:44 AM - Comment Permalink  
Blogger Aaron Sylvan Lord thought:

ok - IVE GOT THE ANSWER!

They are called "floaters". They are indeed cellular debris, but they are NOT in the lacrimal fluid, but rather in the vitreous humour of the eyeball (the jello like substance in the main chamber of the eyeball). There are tons of websites, even clubs, about floaters, with some renderings as well, so check it out :)

February 1, 2005 at 11:14 AM - Comment Permalink  
Blogger Andy thought:

I LOVE that they're called Floaters! So simple, so appropriate.

A.

February 1, 2005 at 12:15 PM - Comment Permalink  
Anonymous Anonymous thought:

Oh squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the peripheral of my vision.

But when I try to look at you, you scurry away.

Are you shy, squiggly line?

Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye?

Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.

- Stewie from Family Guy

March 16, 2008 at 6:17 PM - Comment Permalink  

Post a Comment
Hide Comments