The Treehouse + The Cave


The Treehouse + The Cave: Andrew Mastriani's Clouds <body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d9561264\x26blogName\x3dThe+Treehouse+%2B+The+Cave\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttps://thetreehouseandthecave.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://thetreehouseandthecave.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-2611371644715887499', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Monday, May 09, 2005

Andrew Mastriani's Clouds

Andy Mastriani's Cloud Magnets

Two of my most loved possessions: Miniature oil paintings of cloudy days on magnet-backed MDF by Andrew Mastriani.

He gave one or two to each of the students in Claudia Matzko's thesis; many more to friends I'm sure; all similar in tone, both visual and emotional. They've lived now on my fridges and studio doors, places I only summered and above my desk at various jobs. They live now, on the verso of our front door; something I look at on the way out everyday. A reminder of my art school days; a reminder of the paintings I wish I had bought at student prices; a reminder of the talent I conspired with; a reminder that sometimes it's the small pieces, the easy ones, that most naturally inhabit the word Art.

Blogger Andy thought:

Andy,

I'm in South Carolina at least once a year (Pawleys Island to be precise).

Should you ever find this (Google should help), please let me know. I'd love to catch up for a drink next time I'm at the shore.

I hope these years have treated you well.

My best,

A.

May 9, 2005 at 5:55 PM - Comment Permalink  
Anonymous Anonymous thought:

I still have two miniature paintings by Steve Keene that were part of a show we did at H. Lewis about a thousand years ago (it seems). They, too, have followed me to so many apartments and now reside along the floor boards of my bathroom floor-for the moment, at least.

Funny how one simply cannot part with such things...

May 9, 2005 at 7:52 PM - Comment Permalink  
Blogger Andy thought:

Sarah,

I remember that show, fondly. I think SK has set up shop just steps around the corner from my first NY apartment. Strange how small things are sometimes.

A.

May 9, 2005 at 8:56 PM - Comment Permalink  
Anonymous Anonymous thought:

Nice! I remember opening up the gallery for he and his wife, who were two of the best artists we worked with. They were entirely low-pro, dropping down in a rented moving truck packed to the gills with those huge plaid, plastic shopping bags from Chinatown filled with paintings. Ahhh...MICA memories!

May 10, 2005 at 1:33 AM - Comment Permalink  

Post a Comment
Hide Comments