The Treehouse + The Cave


The Treehouse + The Cave: New Camera Benchmarks <body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d9561264\x26blogName\x3dThe+Treehouse+%2B+The+Cave\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttps://thetreehouseandthecave.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://thetreehouseandthecave.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-2611371644715887499', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Sunday, September 11, 2005

New Camera Benchmarks

With both birthday wishes and artistic patronage in mind (and heart), Heather and her family have given me a new camera for which I am exceedingly grateful.

The kit with which I've been populating the TH+C since day one (also a gift from the Samps) is now retiring after years of glowing service (don't worry, he'll still come out for movies). I've loved that Leica lens and its late-'70s jewel tones; as I learn this new one though, I'm beginning to see why I needed to upgrade.

I'm now shooting on a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT (350D outside the U.S.), an 8 megapixel, true SLR. The learning curve is somewhat steep, even with rather intuitive controls. I find that I'm calling upon my sophomore memories of logarithmic F-stop scales and ISO sensitivities more than I have in years, and I love that. I love that it's a real camera with all the accordant challenges and freedoms; on the surface barely different from the Canon AE-1 I learned on. It possesses the same physicality, the same weight; the same ability to imbue images with subtle professionalism; all things lacking from my prior cameras (I had an Olympus 1.3 megapixel back in the day).

The possibilities this camera presents seem infinite right now; I'm looking forward to the next few months and the quality of thoughts caught for this space.

Benchmarks follow:

Mirror


Mirror 13 - Small
Please view the full-scale image as well.

Sustenance/Board


Sustenance_Supplies - Small
Please view the full-scale image as well.

Incense Process Fig. 3


Incense Process Fig 3 - Small
Please view the full-scale image as well.

Anonymous Anonymous thought:

Cher ANDY,
Est il possible de voir le dessous du plat utilise pour cette etonnante photo ??
J'aimerais savoir qelle est la matiere..est-ce de l'opaline ??
Merci d'avance
Georges
igeorges@mac.com

September 17, 2005 at 5:36 PM - Comment Permalink  
Blogger Andy thought:

Georges,

I don't read French, so I had a friend translate, please excuse any misinterpretations.

The bottom of that dish is pretty well detailed in the first post I made featuring the ash catcher. I thought you might prefer a more scientific analysis however, so I shot it on my copystand: Supine, prone.

I'm not entirely clear on what Opaline is, but I doubt this soy sauce dish is it. We bought it a Pearl River Mart (a purveyor of cheap Chinese imports on Broadway). We have two (the one catching ash, and this one.), each cost 79 cents, probably less.

Hope that's what you were after.

Cheers,

A.

September 18, 2005 at 7:08 PM - Comment Permalink  
Blogger heather thought:

nonono

these are not the pearl river sushi dishes. these are the *good* sushi dishes from andy's mama. they were a housewarming gift for an old apartment and they came accompanied by a sake pitcher and cups with blue and black glaze.

georges, don't believe a word he says.

September 18, 2005 at 7:29 PM - Comment Permalink  

Post a Comment
Hide Comments