The Treehouse + The Cave


The Treehouse + The Cave: Weather Video Podcasts <body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d9561264\x26blogName\x3dThe+Treehouse+%2B+The+Cave\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttps://thetreehouseandthecave.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://thetreehouseandthecave.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-2611371644715887499', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Weather Video Podcasts

Why haven't the Weather Channel and AccuWeather started daily podcasts specific to user zip code that deliver video clips of the day's weather? When you wake up, your iPod would have the local forecast, satellite imagery, ancient After Effects and all.

Anonymous Anonymous thought:

Hey Andrew,

Actually, we are getting into the podcast thing. You can find a number of cities here:

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/promotion.asp?dir=aw&page=podcast

I'd be interested in your thoughts. Coming up next - video podcasts using graphics and maps and whatnot.

Best!
Carl
schaad@accuweather.com
http://38below.accuweather.com

November 30, 2005 at 11:16 AM - Comment Permalink  
Blogger Andy thought:

Carl,

Thanks so much for responding. I continue to be amazed at the speed at which discourse is capable in the maturing web (my guess is, you subscribe to a feed that monitors mentions of AccuWeather on Technorati (I would too)).

Anyway, I'm really happy to hear that AccuWeather is investigating content delivery via podcast to video capbale devices, the new iPods in particular.

Weather information is a interesting form of content, one I believe to be uniquely appropriate for direct-to-user delivery of this type. It's short form. It's visual. There is consistent demand from a large portion of the population during particular periods of the day. Because of the zip code infrastructure (and eventually GPS), content can be easily tailored to small geographic areas. There are many reasons to persue such a strategy.

I for one would readily watch a 15 second ad, or pay a yearly subscription ($9.99) to receive accurate and detailed local forecasts accompanied by both satellite imagery and animated graphics. Presently, I have little desire to see a meteorologist or other personality. Though I could see some portions of the market lost without a talking head.

Basically, what it comes down to is that there is a huge void when it comes to content I'd actually watch on my iPod. I've had it for well over a month now, and almost never use it's video capability. This isn't because the device fails to delivery sufficient quality. I believe it does. In fact, I think the video quality and screen are superb. The problem is simply a lack of appropriate content. I don't want to watch TV or movies on a small screen, I don't even watch that crap at home on my 27". What I want is information, conveyed visually. The small screen and frequent distractions associated with mobile video consumption simply eliminate narrative as a viable form for me. Give me visual data delivered to my pocket, and I will watch. Give me visual data custom aggregated to suit my personal information needs (delivered to my pocket), and I will pay.

I could go on. We are at the edge of a revolution in media generation and distribution, and the questions and answers that arise are hard for me to ignore. Glad to see that they are for you, and AccuWeather as well.

Cheers,

A.

November 30, 2005 at 12:39 PM - Comment Permalink  

Post a Comment
Hide Comments