The Treehouse + The Cave


The Treehouse + The Cave: My Fluorescent Relationship <body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d9561264\x26blogName\x3dThe+Treehouse+%2B+The+Cave\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttps://thetreehouseandthecave.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://thetreehouseandthecave.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-2611371644715887499', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Sunday, July 09, 2006

My Fluorescent Relationship

I keep a running list: things I wish I could take pictures of but can't. Things like reflections sans cameras, the reflection of my eyes in the interior of my own sunglasses, and the flat grainy mosaic of color seen when truly unfocused. But perhaps most often desired; the ribbon flicker of dying fluorescents. And as I've said and say, I have a relationship to fluorescent lighting, always have.

It dawned on me the other day, I can't take one picture; but I can take many. Each animated GIF below is composed of 24 frames, three frames per second. Turns out, the rate at which the images flicker is dependent on the computer/browser combo you are running, but is significantly slower than is perceptible to the eye in all cases. I'm working on something faster.

Fluorescent Flicker 1.gif

Fluorescent Flicker 2.gif

Blogger Mick thought:

Quite clever and somewhat realistic on my system.

July 12, 2006 at 6:53 AM - Comment Permalink  

Post a Comment
Hide Comments